Jack is a native to the Reno-Tahoe area, having grown up in Carson City and attended college at the University of Nevada Reno, where he earned a bachelor’s degree in Geological Engineering and master’s degree in Hydrology. In his graduate studies, Jack developed expertise in performing geomorphic investigations including evaluating channel morphology using remotely sensed data, performing change detection of landscapes using DEMs of difference, and DEM construction using UAVs and photogrammetry. At Balance, Jack contributes design support in the form of hydraulic calculations, hydraulic modeling, and drafting. He also assists in collecting and analyzing hydrologic data associated with streamflow gaging, water quality sampling, and suspended sediment sampling. He is currently working towards earning his professional licensure in Civil Engineering.
- Nevada E.I.T. 0T6111
- Masters of Science | Hydrology | University of Nevada, Reno | December 2016
- Bachelor of Science | Geological Engineering | University of Nevada, Reno | May 2010
- Bear Creek Watershed Assessment and Design, Alpine Meadows, Placer County, California
- Mary’s River Fish Passage Evaluation, Elko County, Nevada
- Truckee Meadows Regional Storm Water Quality Monitoring Program, Reno, Washoe County, Nevada
- Jacquet, J., S. W. McCoy, D. McGrath, D. A. Nimick, M. Fahey, J. O'kuinghttons, B. A. Friesen, and J. Leidich (2017), Hydrologic and geomorphic changes resulting from episodic glacial lake outburst floods: Rio Colonia, Patagonia, Chile, Geophysical Research. Letters, 44, 854–864.
The best part about working at Balance is being able to collaborative with such a knowledgeable group of scientists and engineers. I also admire Balance’s approach to restoration projects where a huge emphasis is placed on background data collection and pre-and post-construction monitoring.
My favorite watershed is the middle Truckee River watershed. I am fascinated by the unique geomorphic features from past glacial periods plus these reaches are home to some trophy trout.
In my free time, you can find me either fly fishing on the Truckee River or Pyramid Lake, mountain biking one of the trails around Truckee, or snowboarding at Sugar Bowl or in the Mount Rose Wilderness.